Friday, March 7, 2008

Um, Yes, the World DOES Revolve Around Me

I wish I was better at hiding my contempt. Actually, I wish I was just less contemptuous, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, so for now I'll direct my efforts toward being less obvious about it.

Botox might help. Then I wouldn't be able to move my face. My brow would never furrow; the corners of my mouth would never turn. Or I could come to work drunk. Yes, that would be messed up, but I think it might actually improve my customer service skills.

Or maybe - just maybe - people could stop being worthy of my contempt. Please?

When I worked at Quiznos, well, I was completely goddamned miserable. Who wouldn't be? I came home every night smelling like mayonnaise and sub-par swiss cheese. I worked with a bunch of meth addicts and one sober douche bag who had lost his color vision three years before when he opened an oven full of nitrogen and who was therefore convinced I was a blond. A hot blond, as he informed me on numerous occasions, definitely a hot blond. When I pointed out that I was, in fact, a redhead, he compared me to a stripper he knew in Vegas, which is stupid, because last I checked, strippers are supposed to be well-endowed. But anyway -

I blame my contempt for my Quiznos customers partially on the fact that I loathed my job with the core of my being - enough to make myself nametags with fake names, like Scarlett and Scheherezade, in a desperate attempt to conceal my true identity. (No, I wasn't surprised when it didn't work.) I hated the black visor, the matching apron, and my possibly drug-addicted boss, who bounced around like a fat, balding Tigger, clapping his hands maniacally and encouraging us to "move quick, move quick, gotta get this done." Having people order a sandwich and get all upset when it came with onions, as stated on the fucking menu, was really more than I could cheerfully deal with. The only good thing to come out of that job was that I perfected the Withering Stare From Beneath the Brim of My Visor, quickly followed by the Wide Eyes and Innocent Surprise when faced with a Completely Unwarranted Look of Annoyance From Dumbass Customer.

The thing was, when I quit/got fired, I thought I would never have to use the Withering Stare or Wide Eyes again. I thought, yay! A bookstore! My ultimate dream job! No longer will I feel contempt. I will be content. Which is good, because I find content slightly easier to pronounce.

Until I realized: I am not cut out for customer service.

There are certain customers that I really, really like. And contrary to what the contents of this blog might suggest, my first instinct is to be pleasant. But when someone is rude, dumb, a lousy parent, or speaks in a baby voice despite not being, you know, a baby, I have trouble coping. I don't know if that's because I'm hypersensitive, prematurely curmudgeonly, or just a mean, mean person, but whatever it is, I'm not sure it can be changed.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a writer. I didn't know what I wanted to write; I just had this dream of sitting at home with a bottomless mug of coffee (well, not coffee - maybe kool-aid), surrounded by loose sheets of paper with words scribbled in every margin. I pictured myself writing with pencils whittled down to within an inch of the eraser, wearing a top hat like Winona Ryder in Little Women. (I can't remember if Jo wore a top hat in the book or not. Mental note: check.) But I could never finish anything, and all that I scribbled in the margins were loose phrases that would pop into my head randomly, but which I could never attach to anything.

I know I need to go back to school. People have been telling me that for the last two and a half years, and I've never disagreed. But I feel like I've been coasting on potential my whole life, and I don't know how to change that. To put the potential into action. To write on command. To get a car, move into an apartment where the ceiling isn't being eaten away by mold (god, it's gross), to cook myself an actual meal. Hell, just dating someone who isn't an asshole would be a start.

And I guess the reason I'm so sensitive about how contemptuous I am is that I know I have no reason to be. I haven't really accomplished anything. My supposed superiority stems from all the potential I allegedly possess. "Well, you may have a degree, but I'm naturally smarter." Which may be true, or may not, but as long as I'm making $6.75 an hour whilst attempting to explain to my customers what "signed by the author" means, it really doesn't matter.

And even though this is definitely more appropriate for my personal journal, I'm going to post it anyway, because, well, it's all typed and everything, so why not?

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Are all the people in your town as weird as all get up or what?

I just used the phrase "as all get up." I am so sorry.

Also, I remember when you lent me the book Angela and Diabola in 5th grade. Thanks for that. I liked it.

Then you moved.

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

I loved that book. I think I read it five times. Am I remembering wrong, or did that book get lent out to a lot of people? It seems like it really got around.

And the people in my town ARE weird as all get up, so it's okay. Sometimes I worry that I've absorbed some of that weirdness without realizing it, and that when I finally move out of state everyone I meet will think I'm a freak.

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

Ack, it totally looks like I'm having a conversation with myself. Creepy.

Josh Gray said...

-------
Botox might help. Then I wouldn't be able to move my face.
-------

Sam, you're awesome. I honestly laughed out loud at this. I was chatting with Carrie when I found your blog and started perusing. What follows is a partial transcript of that chat.

[22:30] Carrie: yeah and that's pretty much the way she talks at knitting night too
[22:31] Carrie: freaking hilarious girl
[22:31] Josh: yeah, she's a keeper.
[22:31] Josh: She needs help, but she's a keeper
[22:32] Carrie: HA HA!
[22:32] Carrie: be sure to comment and tell her so!

And thus, with a simple click, I comment.

Truly, you're a refreshing break from the mundane monotony.

OH! Regarding reducing contempt versus reducing the expression of contempt: you nailed it. The contempt is MUCH more difficult to alter. In so many cases, it's like altering how you breath . . . THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!

As my father is wont to say: "Don't let the bastards get you down."

Take care,

Josh