Monday, December 29, 2008

Why I'm Not Getting a Degree In Journalism

Our local paper is the Black Hills Pioneer. I don't expect much from it, because it sucks. But when I looked it up today for information on the recent murder that took place at a local motel (the mayor's stepson was the killer) I was even more disgusted than usual. The whole article is pretty badly written, but this part really stood out:

Bell was arrested at 8:15 a.m. Sunday only blocks away from the motel. He had been on the run for almost nine hours in bitterly cold weather and his feet were bandaged in court Monday.

You'd think they'd have taken care of that earlier - and in a more sterile environment.

4 comments:

rachel said...

ah, the good old BHP. how i do not miss it!

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

Ugh, I know, right? And there were a ton of unclear pronoun references in that article as well.

Ranting Pacifist said...

Well, at least they didn't bring up how the mayor's other son was arrested on burglary charges with a bunch of other hoodlums for breaking into and burglarizing the high school. Also, you didn't point out that it took them nine hours to find him just blocks away.

And this is the department that wrongfully arrested me and also had to drop assault charges against the giant man who beat up the chief of police during a traffic stop because it was an illegal stop.

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

I was thinking small with this post. Writing a detailed criticism of our fine police department would take hours that I, frankly, am not willing to give. It might make a good article, though. I mean, on another blog or something...