Friday, May 9, 2008

In Praise of Linnea

So, I realize that there are an infinite number of childless people who nonetheless have very strict notions of what constitutes good parenting. I like to think that I am not one of those people. All I ask is that when children come into my work, they speak in a reasonable tone of voice, don't run around knocking things over, and if they do, that their parents make some effort to control/discipline them. I have no intention of procreating, so I rarely start sentences with "if that was my child I'd...," because it sounds strange to me. I can't picture myself with a baby. I would be so bewildered by a a baby's presence - the sort of person who would be confused at a newborn's inability to use a spoon.

That said, I do have one very strong belief, one I would certainly adhere to should a baby fall from the sky and into my lap, and that is the belief that every little girl should have a floppy doll.

Specifically, Linnea.
I had the one on the right, and she was awesome.

Linnea rocked because she was smart, she liked to garden, and she wore a cute hat. Also, her hair was adorably low-maintenance, and although she dressed well, she was not afraid to get her little cloth hands dirty. She had a pretty name, which she shared with a flower, but it was an unusual flower name, nothing obvious like Rose or Lily. (Not that I don't like those names - I'm particularly fond of Lily.) She only had one pair of shoes, but they went with everything, and dammit, she just looked a little kid.

I hadn't thought of Linnea in years, but that all changed yesterday, when I found a Linnea doll in an antique/gift shop. She was perched on the edge of an antique bureau, and I literally jumped for joy when I saw her. She was a little bigger than the one I had, and she wore the dress and apron of the doll on the left, but everything else was the same. I almost bought it out of nostalgia.

Apparently, I'm the only person who has walked into that store and recognized Linnea for the amazing, kickass little gardener she is, and that makes me sad. Linnea was genuine. She was sincere, she was happy, and she had her own almanac.
She was a chatty, enthusiastic little kid utterly lacking in vanity, and the birds just flocked to her. Sure, I had Barbies, and I liked them, but they lived such complicated lives. Some were adopted, one was diabetic, and Ken's foot had been gnawed off by a vindictive rabbit. Linnea was just a nice, sweet girl, and she had no taste for sequins or backless gowns. A rabbit would be too charmed by her to gnaw off her foot - in fact, if I remember correctly, she made friends with the rabbits. If I had a kid, I'd name it Linnea. Even if it was a boy.

So it's probably a good thing I don't want kids.

And that was my shiny happy post.

5 comments:

Josh Gray said...

Well, I want Lizzie to have one!!!!

And to think, the girl after wonderful flowers, and the flowers after Carl Linnaeus, inventor of the universally recognized system of classifying plants and animals. How extra cool is that for a young lady who is not only smart and kind, but also so interested in nature!

Thanks Sam!!

Rayelle said...

Where'd you find her? I'm tempted to buy her...LOL. For my little boy? Maybe for me!

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

She is pretty cute, isn't she? :)

I found her at Simply Shabby, but she's also available new through Amazon. If you search "Linnea doll" under Toys & Games you'll find her. The t-shirt and overall versions have been discontinued, sadly, but the dress-and-pinafore doll remains. Also discovered that the almanac is out of print, although her book on art, Linnea In Monet's Garden, is still available.

Apparently she's European, and the dolls are made in Germany. Who knew?

Carrie said...

Typical- Seems like most European toys are of a much higher quality

blaky said...

looking for those doll outfits for linnea. getting the doll for my little girl and she needs to be able to change her clothes:-) was so excited to see your pictures, and wonder if you might tell me where i can find those outfits. thanks!! blaky