Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Milk In a Bag

I lived in Wisconsin during fourth and fifth grade. It was okay. Kind of cold. Very slushy snow. The grocery store closed during the Superbowl, which was inconvenient, but then again, this was at the height of Favremania, so I guess that's to be expected.

Anyway, Favremania aside, the main thing I remember about Wisconsin is that our cafeteria served milk in a bag. I've tried explaining milk in a bag to other people - privileged people, people with cartons - but they never seem to get it.

"You mean, it was like a Capri Sun?"
"Well, kind of. Except it wasn't vertical."
"What?"
"It didn't stand up. It just...flopped around. Like a fish."
"What kind of bag was it?"
"Like a Ziploc. Only no zip. Or lock. But it was plastic like that."
"How did you drink out of it?"
"You poked a straw through the plastic. The thing that sucked about it was that it was really easy to poke the straw through both sides, and then milk would go everywhere."
"I don't get it."

Well, I can't say I blame people for not getting it. Milk in a bag is a messed up concept. I had resigned myself to people never understanding this particular tale of woe, and honestly, I was happy for them, because there are certain things people should never have to understand. But today, I found a picture of milk in a bag, and I am gleefully posting it.


See? I told you it wasn't vertical!

Milk in a bag has made me the girl I am today.

5 comments:

Josh Gray said...

THAT is flippin' strange!! I hope you were given chocolate milk often. That would help.
-Josh

Youthful Curmudgeon said...

They offered plain and chocolate every day. Also, students paid on the honor system, so you could get as much as you wanted for as little as you felt shamed into paying. It was a pretty good deal, actually.

Lisa said...

Wow. I am so glad you found a picture. Ever since our conversation, I have been thinking about this milk in a bag concept. Very strange...but I hope to someday come across it myself.

Carrie said...

This is really common in all four of the countries I was in while in West Africa. You could get most anything (other than something carbonated) in a little plastic baggie. I suspect its a FAR more cost effective form of packaging. I was always slightly ashamed that we don't do this... seems like a much less offensive sort of packaging environmentally-still plastic... but there's so much less of it. People there generally nibbled a small hole in the corner and drank it from there. I sure wish I'd thought to take a photograph. I have some vivid memories of bags of water and orange juice sweating in the sun as they were carried about on a woman's head-she was a mobile vending machine at a stop sign in Kumasi.

Confessions of a 20 something virgin said...

Wow. That's by far probably the most intersting thing I have seen this year. But, how fucked up is that? Damn, I wish I was special enough to have milk in a bag. Oh well, thats what I get for being home schooled, shit.